Friday, February 19, 2010

I am so excited! We get to find out on Monday what our next grandchild is. Do we get an Audrey Claire or another boy which there is no name picked out yet. Bet you can guess what Kacee is wanting.
Do I have a recipe for you today. It is so good and so easy. I found this recipe on a blog called Southern Plate. I'll post the link on here at the bottom. It is called "Southern Hoe Cake". This "cake" has only three ingredients, takes less than 5 minutes to mix up and less than 30 minutes to cook AND can be fixed in my iron skillet. I love using my iron skillets, they are awesome.


Southern Hoe Cake

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk

In your iron skillet, pour in enough oil to cover the bottom plus a little and heat in 425 degree oven.
In the flour add the 1/2 cup shortening and cut in. Mix the milk in making a wet dough. After the skillet is very hot, pour the batter in. This should sizzle, that's what makes it so crispy and good. Bake this for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is brown. Invert onto a plate and eat. To see actual pictures here is the website minus the iron skillet: www.southerplate.com/2008/07/my-mothers-southern-hoe-cake-recipe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment